12 fishermen attacked by Sri Lankan naval personne
Madurai: Twelve fishermen were attacked allegedly by Sri Lankan Naval personnel in two separate incidents when they were fishing off the Tamil Nadu coast, officials said.
Four of those attacked have been hospitalised, they said.
In the first incident, four fishermen from Nagapattinam district were assaulted by the naval personnel, who boarded their boat and got into an argument with them over reportedly fishing outside Indian territorial waters late last evening.
The naval personnal also damaged their fishing nets and threw their catch into the sea, they said, adding the fishermen have been hospitalised.
In the second incident, eight fishermen from Pudukottai district were assaulted by Lankan naval personnel when they were fishing in mid sea last night. They also snapped their nets and threw their catch into the sea, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!