12 injured as under-construction bridge collapses
Krishnagiri: An assistant engineer and 11 workers were on Monday injured when an under-construction bridge collapsed at a village near here, police said.
The mishap occurred when over 50 labourers were involved in pouring the concrete mix for the 20-metre long bridge in Ramapuram village, 52 km from here on Hosur-Rayakottah road.
The victims, including District Rural Development Agency Assistant Engineer S Ganesan (48) and three women, standing at a height of about 50 feet on the bridge deck, were trapped in the concrete mix as the deck collapsed, police said.
Supervisors and fellow workers at the site rescued the 12 persons and rushed them to a government hospital at Rayakottah.
The engineer, who suffered multiple fractures, was shifted to a private hospital.
The bridge is being constructed under DRDA scheme at a cost of Rs 4.5 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen