12 injured as under-construction bridge collapses
Krishnagiri: An assistant engineer and 11 workers were on Monday injured when an under-construction bridge collapsed at a village near here, police said.
The mishap occurred when over 50 labourers were involved in pouring the concrete mix for the 20-metre long bridge in Ramapuram village, 52 km from here on Hosur-Rayakottah road.
The victims, including District Rural Development Agency Assistant Engineer S Ganesan (48) and three women, standing at a height of about 50 feet on the bridge deck, were trapped in the concrete mix as the deck collapsed, police said.
Supervisors and fellow workers at the site rescued the 12 persons and rushed them to a government hospital at Rayakottah.
The engineer, who suffered multiple fractures, was shifted to a private hospital.
The bridge is being constructed under DRDA scheme at a cost of Rs 4.5 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire