12 injured as under-construction bridge collapses
Krishnagiri: An assistant engineer and 11 workers were on Monday injured when an under-construction bridge collapsed at a village near here, police said.
The mishap occurred when over 50 labourers were involved in pouring the concrete mix for the 20-metre long bridge in Ramapuram village, 52 km from here on Hosur-Rayakottah road.
The victims, including District Rural Development Agency Assistant Engineer S Ganesan (48) and three women, standing at a height of about 50 feet on the bridge deck, were trapped in the concrete mix as the deck collapsed, police said.
Supervisors and fellow workers at the site rescued the 12 persons and rushed them to a government hospital at Rayakottah.
The engineer, who suffered multiple fractures, was shifted to a private hospital.
The bridge is being constructed under DRDA scheme at a cost of Rs 4.5 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH