12 Tamil Nadu fishermen thrashed by Lankan Naval personnel
Rameswaram (Tamil Nadu): Twelve fishermen from Tamil Nadu were allegedly assaulted by Sri Lankan Naval personnel while fishing near Katchatheevu, an islet ceded by India to the neighbouring republic, early on Monday morning, officials said.
The fishermen, from Thondi in Ramanathapuram District, were fishing in a mechanised boat when they were surrounded by the Sri lankan Navy men and thrashed with sticks.
They also cut their fishing nets and dumped their catch into the sea, besides snatching their GPS equipment and cell phone, the officials said adding the fishermen were detained for more than two hours.
The fishermen arrived here tonight and were treated as OPD patients and given some pain killers and ointment by local doctors, they said.
The alleged attack comes after a brief lull in such incidents. In a welcome gesture, Sri Lankan Naval personnel, had on January 24 offered refreshments to a group of fishermen from here when they were fishing near Katchatheevu.
Minister of State in PMO V Narayanasamy had last month said India and Sri Lanka were close to clinching an agreement on drawing a fishing boundary in the Palk Strait so as to avoid incidents of attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow