12 Tamil Nadu fishermen thrashed by Lankan Naval personnel
Rameswaram (Tamil Nadu): Twelve fishermen from Tamil Nadu were allegedly assaulted by Sri Lankan Naval personnel while fishing near Katchatheevu, an islet ceded by India to the neighbouring republic, early on Monday morning, officials said.
The fishermen, from Thondi in Ramanathapuram District, were fishing in a mechanised boat when they were surrounded by the Sri lankan Navy men and thrashed with sticks.
They also cut their fishing nets and dumped their catch into the sea, besides snatching their GPS equipment and cell phone, the officials said adding the fishermen were detained for more than two hours.
The fishermen arrived here tonight and were treated as OPD patients and given some pain killers and ointment by local doctors, they said.
The alleged attack comes after a brief lull in such incidents. In a welcome gesture, Sri Lankan Naval personnel, had on January 24 offered refreshments to a group of fishermen from here when they were fishing near Katchatheevu.
Minister of State in PMO V Narayanasamy had last month said India and Sri Lanka were close to clinching an agreement on drawing a fishing boundary in the Palk Strait so as to avoid incidents of attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...