13 priests arrested for fire mishap
Bangalore: Thirteen priests have been arrested in connection with the incident of fire that gutted a bar and restaurant atop a three-storeyed commercial building here, police said on Tuesday.
According to fire officials, a religious ritual being performed on the terrace of the building in the busy Residency Road was the cause of yesterday`s fire. However, there was no casualty.
Mahesh Kumar Tayal, brother of the building owner, who was in-charge of the complex, has also been arrested, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Central Division) G Ramesh said.
A case has been registered against the owner, Vijay Kumar Tayal, for violating fire safety norms, he said, adding he was absconding.
The building had not obtained clearance from the fire department and lacked fire safety equipment.
The incident, coming after the February 23 fire tragedy in Carlton Towers, which claimed nine lives and injured many others, triggered panic among the people in the locality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?