13 priests arrested for fire mishap
Bangalore: Thirteen priests have been arrested in connection with the incident of fire that gutted a bar and restaurant atop a three-storeyed commercial building here, police said on Tuesday.
According to fire officials, a religious ritual being performed on the terrace of the building in the busy Residency Road was the cause of yesterday`s fire. However, there was no casualty.
Mahesh Kumar Tayal, brother of the building owner, who was in-charge of the complex, has also been arrested, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Central Division) G Ramesh said.
A case has been registered against the owner, Vijay Kumar Tayal, for violating fire safety norms, he said, adding he was absconding.
The building had not obtained clearance from the fire department and lacked fire safety equipment.
The incident, coming after the February 23 fire tragedy in Carlton Towers, which claimed nine lives and injured many others, triggered panic among the people in the locality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender