13 priests arrested for fire mishap
Bangalore: Thirteen priests have been arrested in connection with the incident of fire that gutted a bar and restaurant atop a three-storeyed commercial building here, police said on Tuesday.
According to fire officials, a religious ritual being performed on the terrace of the building in the busy Residency Road was the cause of yesterday`s fire. However, there was no casualty.
Mahesh Kumar Tayal, brother of the building owner, who was in-charge of the complex, has also been arrested, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Central Division) G Ramesh said.
A case has been registered against the owner, Vijay Kumar Tayal, for violating fire safety norms, he said, adding he was absconding.
The building had not obtained clearance from the fire department and lacked fire safety equipment.
The incident, coming after the February 23 fire tragedy in Carlton Towers, which claimed nine lives and injured many others, triggered panic among the people in the locality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!