`1.43 cr families covered under health insurance scheme`
Chennai: A total of 1.43 crore families have
been enrolled under Tamil Nadu Government`s health insurance
scheme for poor people so far and over 30,000 patients have
already benefited from it, state Health Minister M R K Paneer
Selvam on Tuesday said.
Since its launch last year, 30,508 people have been
provided treatment under `Kalaignar Insurance Scheme for Life
Saving Treatments` at a cost of Rs 102.17 crore, he said at a
function in the Apollo Hospitals here.
They included 4,672 heart patients, 6,860 people who
underwent bone and joint related surgeries, 3,300 kidney
patients and 4,500 cancer patients, he said adding 63 persons
had been treated by the Apollo Hospitals.
Referring to Apollo Hospitals Chairman Pratap C Reddy
being chosen for the Padma Vibushan award, the Minister said
it was one of the "happiest days" for state government.
"Chief Minister M Karunanidhi always wanted quality
treatment should reach the poor. I am glad Apollo Hospitals
has offered their excellent service," he said.
Reddy thanked Karunanidhi for recommending his name for
the Padma award. "Chennai which is considered the Detroit of
Asia (for emerging as a major automobile hub) would also be
the preferred destination for healthcare," he said.
Reddy, however, said lack of infrastructure and shortage
of health care still remained a "challenge". Around one lakh
beds would be required in another 10 years as the country was
becoming a capital for diabetes, kidney ailments and cancer.
He stressed the need for a stimulus package for health
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report