15 fishermen attacked by Sri Lankan naval personnel
Rameswaram (TN): Around 15 Indian fishermen
were injured when they were allegedly attacked by Sri Lankan
naval personnel in mid sea near the International Maritime
Border Line early Tuesday morning, Tamil Nadu coastal area
fishermen`s association said.
N J Bose, Association president, said around 600
mechanised fishing boats were put out to sea off this island.
Sri Lankan naval personnel allegedly attacked them near IMBL,
injuring 15 fishermen, he said.
"Each boat owner lost between Rs 5,000 to Rs 10,000
and the entire trip was a waste as they had to return without
a catch," he claimed.
"Though we contribute crores of rupees in foreign
exchange, the government has ignored our profession and failed
to protect us," he said.
Fisheries department officials said that some fishermen had
violated rules by using banned nets. Doing so would impact
Lankan fishermen and lead to tension, they said.
Bose said fishermen would have no other option other
than launch a major agitation if the attacks continued.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan to star in Ajay Devgn's ‘Baadshaho’?
- AgustaWestland bribery scam: CBI questions ex-IAF deputy chief JS Gujaral
- Subramanian Swamy may soon form Virat Hindustan Sansadiya Sangam of MPs for grand Hindutva concept
- Indian Premier League, Match 28: Gujarat Lions vs Kings XI Punjab - Preview
- Indian Premier League, Match 29: Rising Pune Supergiants vs Mumbai Indians - Preview