18 fishermen arrive in Chennai after surviving Cyclone Phailin
Chennai: Eighteen Tamil Nadu fishermen, who swam to safety after being caught at sea by cyclone `Phailin`, arrived here on Wednesday.
The fishermen, belonging to Kanyakumari district, were stranded at sea as the cyclone hit Odisha on Saturday. With their boat unable to withstand the rough sea, the fishermen jumped into the waters and swam to the shore at Ersama in Jagatsinghpur district of Odisha.
They were later taken to the district headquarters after being given medical aid, food, water and clothing.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had directed the officials to take the necessary steps to help the fishermen.
The 18 fishermen were first taken to New Delhi and, from there, arrived by a flight here, airport sources said.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- US wants Pakistan to have dialogue with neighbours
- Hassan Rouhani allies win Iran parliament elections second round: Reports
- Bipasha Basu - Karan Singh Grover wedding: Official pictures from mehendi/ sangeet ceremony are here
- Crucial file on 'truth behind Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose's disappearance' destroyed in 1972
- Russian woman raped in Goa by guest house owner