1st legal clinic for domestic violence victims
Chennai: A Legal Aid Clinic run by women lawyers for victims of Domestic Violence, the first in the country, was inaugurated at the Madras High Court premises.
Madras High Court Chief Justice MY Eqbal said this was the first legal aid clinic in the country to be run by women lawyers.
Inaugurating the clinic, Supreme Court Judge Justice
Altamas Kabir highlighted the need for sensitising people
about the Domestic Violence Act.
Expressing his opinion on the misuse of provisions of
the Act, he said it was his personal view that no law was an
exception to misuse.
That had become a tendency, he said. "That does not
mean the law should not be in place."
"The provisions of the Act are so good. However those
who intend to see that the law works have to make it work.
Judges and presiding officers should understand, identify the
problems and try to solve them."
The clinic would be run with the help of Tamil Nadu
State Legal Services Authority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday