1st legal clinic for domestic violence victims
Chennai: A Legal Aid Clinic run by women lawyers for victims of Domestic Violence, the first in the country, was inaugurated at the Madras High Court premises.
Madras High Court Chief Justice MY Eqbal said this was the first legal aid clinic in the country to be run by women lawyers.
Inaugurating the clinic, Supreme Court Judge Justice
Altamas Kabir highlighted the need for sensitising people
about the Domestic Violence Act.
Expressing his opinion on the misuse of provisions of
the Act, he said it was his personal view that no law was an
exception to misuse.
That had become a tendency, he said. "That does not
mean the law should not be in place."
"The provisions of the Act are so good. However those
who intend to see that the law works have to make it work.
Judges and presiding officers should understand, identify the
problems and try to solve them."
The clinic would be run with the help of Tamil Nadu
State Legal Services Authority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan