1st legal clinic for domestic violence victims
Chennai: A Legal Aid Clinic run by women lawyers for victims of Domestic Violence, the first in the country, was inaugurated at the Madras High Court premises.
Madras High Court Chief Justice MY Eqbal said this was the first legal aid clinic in the country to be run by women lawyers.
Inaugurating the clinic, Supreme Court Judge Justice
Altamas Kabir highlighted the need for sensitising people
about the Domestic Violence Act.
Expressing his opinion on the misuse of provisions of
the Act, he said it was his personal view that no law was an
exception to misuse.
That had become a tendency, he said. "That does not
mean the law should not be in place."
"The provisions of the Act are so good. However those
who intend to see that the law works have to make it work.
Judges and presiding officers should understand, identify the
problems and try to solve them."
The clinic would be run with the help of Tamil Nadu
State Legal Services Authority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman