2 cops suspended for custodial death in TN
Tiruchirappalli: Two police personnel in neighbouring Ariyalur have been suspended in connection with the alleged custodial death of a woman and her son, detained for inquiry into a jewel theft case.
DIG Amalraj has ordered the suspension of special team Inspector Balamurugan and Sub-Inspector Rajendran in connection with the July 24 death of the two, police said today.
A police team led by Balamurugan had gone to a jewel polishing unit at Ariryalur, 55 km from here, and had picked up two workers -- Rani (51) and her son Anandh Babu (27) -- for questioning in connection with alleged purchase of stolen jewels.
The woman and her son had vomited and fainted while being taken in the van after they allegedly consumed `mayil thutham` (copper sulphate), police claimed, adding they died while being rushed to the government hospital here.
However, the Jewel Workshop Owners Association alleged that two had died due to "police torture".
An emergency meeting of the association demanded a CB-CID inquiry into the deaths and shut down shops yesterday.
Judicial Magistrate Nagalakshmi conducted initial inquiry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions