2 cops suspended for custodial death in TN
Tiruchirappalli: Two police personnel in neighbouring Ariyalur have been suspended in connection with the alleged custodial death of a woman and her son, detained for inquiry into a jewel theft case.
DIG Amalraj has ordered the suspension of special team Inspector Balamurugan and Sub-Inspector Rajendran in connection with the July 24 death of the two, police said today.
A police team led by Balamurugan had gone to a jewel polishing unit at Ariryalur, 55 km from here, and had picked up two workers -- Rani (51) and her son Anandh Babu (27) -- for questioning in connection with alleged purchase of stolen jewels.
The woman and her son had vomited and fainted while being taken in the van after they allegedly consumed `mayil thutham` (copper sulphate), police claimed, adding they died while being rushed to the government hospital here.
However, the Jewel Workshop Owners Association alleged that two had died due to "police torture".
An emergency meeting of the association demanded a CB-CID inquiry into the deaths and shut down shops yesterday.
Judicial Magistrate Nagalakshmi conducted initial inquiry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda