20 fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Naval personnel
Rameswaram (TN): Twenty fishermen from this coastal town were arrested by Sri Lankan Naval personnel when they were fishing in the Palk Straits early this morning, a top fisheries department official said.
Assistant Director of Fisheries Gopinath said it was not immediately clear whether the fishermen were in Indian waters or had crossed the International Maritime Boundary Line when they were arrested.
He said they had been lodged in the army camp in Mannar and were likely to be produced in court there tomorrow.
Meanwhile, the 34 fishermen released by a Lankan court after their arrest on September four arrived here this morning.
Coast Guard commander H H More brought them here and handed them over to district officials today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab