20 fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Naval personnel
Rameswaram (TN): Twenty fishermen from this coastal town were arrested by Sri Lankan Naval personnel when they were fishing in the Palk Straits early this morning, a top fisheries department official said.
Assistant Director of Fisheries Gopinath said it was not immediately clear whether the fishermen were in Indian waters or had crossed the International Maritime Boundary Line when they were arrested.
He said they had been lodged in the army camp in Mannar and were likely to be produced in court there tomorrow.
Meanwhile, the 34 fishermen released by a Lankan court after their arrest on September four arrived here this morning.
Coast Guard commander H H More brought them here and handed them over to district officials today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble