20 fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Naval personnel
Rameswaram (TN): Twenty fishermen from this coastal town were arrested by Sri Lankan Naval personnel when they were fishing in the Palk Straits early this morning, a top fisheries department official said.
Assistant Director of Fisheries Gopinath said it was not immediately clear whether the fishermen were in Indian waters or had crossed the International Maritime Boundary Line when they were arrested.
He said they had been lodged in the army camp in Mannar and were likely to be produced in court there tomorrow.
Meanwhile, the 34 fishermen released by a Lankan court after their arrest on September four arrived here this morning.
Coast Guard commander H H More brought them here and handed them over to district officials today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!