20 TN fishermen taken into custody by Lankan Navy
Rameswaram: Twenty Tamil Nadu fishermen were on Saturday taken into custody along with their five boats by Sri Lankan naval personnel for allegedly trespassing into Lankan waters, a report reaching fisheries department here said.
The arrest comes a day after Chief Minister Jayalalithaa urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to summon the Sri Lankan High Commissioner and convey India`s strong protest on the arrest of Indian fishermen by the Lankan Navy.
Assistant Director of Fisheries Phelomin Thiagarajan said they did not give permission for one of the boats as it was using banned fishing nets and it had put to sea without proper licence. It could have been seized due to that, the official said.
However, other fishermen and boats had proper licence, he said.
In her letter to Singh, Jayalalithaa said, "I am pained to note that such incidents of unlawful abduction and arrest of fishermen from Tamil Nadu by the Sri Lankan Navy go on unabated and are occurring with alarming frequency."
Jayalalithaa`s letter came a day after she had slammed the Centre for not taking any "concerted efforts" to secure the release of arrested Tamil Nadu fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal