20 TN fishermen taken into custody by Lankan Navy
Rameswaram: Twenty Tamil Nadu fishermen were on Saturday taken into custody along with their five boats by Sri Lankan naval personnel for allegedly trespassing into Lankan waters, a report reaching fisheries department here said.
The arrest comes a day after Chief Minister Jayalalithaa urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to summon the Sri Lankan High Commissioner and convey India`s strong protest on the arrest of Indian fishermen by the Lankan Navy.
Assistant Director of Fisheries Phelomin Thiagarajan said they did not give permission for one of the boats as it was using banned fishing nets and it had put to sea without proper licence. It could have been seized due to that, the official said.
However, other fishermen and boats had proper licence, he said.
In her letter to Singh, Jayalalithaa said, "I am pained to note that such incidents of unlawful abduction and arrest of fishermen from Tamil Nadu by the Sri Lankan Navy go on unabated and are occurring with alarming frequency."
Jayalalithaa`s letter came a day after she had slammed the Centre for not taking any "concerted efforts" to secure the release of arrested Tamil Nadu fishermen.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know