200 detained for demanding India boycott CHOGM
Chennai: Over 200 activists belonging to various outfits were on Friday detained after they picketed before the British Deputy High Commission and central government offices here demanding India boycott the Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting in Colombo.
Holding placards demanding the Commonwealth of Nations to suspend Sri Lanka for its alleged human rights violations against civilians during its war against LTTE, they raised slogans against the central government.
They also protested against the United Kingdom for allowing Sri Lanka to remain in the Commonwealth even after alleged genocide of Tamils living in the island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage
- PM Narendra Modi to share his thoughts in 21st edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' today
- IIFA Awards 2016: Here is the list of winners