21st anniversary of Babri Masjid demolition peaceful in TN
Chennai: The 21st anniversary of Babri mosque demolition passed off peacefully on Friday in Tamil Nadu without any major untoward incident, police said.
Over 11,000 persons were arrested in different parts of the state for trying to stage protests without permission.
Protestors proclaiming allegiance to various groups from either of the religious communities were arrested from different parts of the state, including in Chennai, Coimbatore and Tirupur, police said.
Hindu groups demanded handing over the land at Ayodhya to construct Ram Temple there while Muslims raised slogans against the demolition of the mosque.
Kar sevaks had demolished the mosque on December 6, 1991. Earlier, security was stepped up in the state with more police personnel including armed guards being deployed in places where people throng in large numbers, including places of worship and transport hubs.
Baggage screening at railway stations and bus stands and vehicle checking were intensified to avert any untoward incident, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Sterling, stocks skid as Brexit result agonisingly close
- REVEALED: Anil Kumble's first message to India captains Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Virat Kohli after appointment
- 'Mirzya' trailer alert! Harshvardhan Kapoor spells enchanting cast in a splendid tale by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Oops! Salman Khan mocks Hollywood return Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone, but WHY?