21st anniversary of Babri Masjid demolition peaceful in TN
Chennai: The 21st anniversary of Babri mosque demolition passed off peacefully on Friday in Tamil Nadu without any major untoward incident, police said.
Over 11,000 persons were arrested in different parts of the state for trying to stage protests without permission.
Protestors proclaiming allegiance to various groups from either of the religious communities were arrested from different parts of the state, including in Chennai, Coimbatore and Tirupur, police said.
Hindu groups demanded handing over the land at Ayodhya to construct Ram Temple there while Muslims raised slogans against the demolition of the mosque.
Kar sevaks had demolished the mosque on December 6, 1991. Earlier, security was stepped up in the state with more police personnel including armed guards being deployed in places where people throng in large numbers, including places of worship and transport hubs.
Baggage screening at railway stations and bus stands and vehicle checking were intensified to avert any untoward incident, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Corruption scandal throws Brazil`s interim government into disarray
- IMF calls for 'unconditional' debt relief for Greece
- Deepika Padukone is doing THIS in 'Raabta'!
- Respect Pakistan's ''sovereignty'' but won't stop removing terrorists: US
- India to get its indigenously-built 'supercomputer' next year!