28 TN fishermen detained by Lankan Navy, let-off with warning
Rameswaram (TN): Twenty-eight Tamil Nadu fishermen were detained by Sri Lankan Naval personnel on the charge of entering the island waters in the Palk Strait but released after a stern warning on Saturday, officials here said.
The fishermen from Akkaraipettai village near Nagapattinam were fishing in four mechanised boats when they were arrested and taken to Mannar in Sri Lanka, Assistant Director of Fisheries Gunasekaran said, quoting information received.
Though the fishermen said they were fishing in Indian waters only, the Sri Lankan navalmen told them that they had intruded into their territory.
The Naval personnel allegedly beat some of the fishermen and warned them not to enter Sri Lankan waters before releasing them this afternoon, he said, adding the fishermen were expected to return tonight.
Several incidents of Tamil Nadu fishermen being "attacked" and detained by Sri Lankan naval personnel have been reported in recent months and the state government had been demanding that the Centre take up the issue strongly with the neighbouring country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!