28 TN fishermen detained by Lankan Navy, let-off with warning
Rameswaram (TN): Twenty-eight Tamil Nadu fishermen were detained by Sri Lankan Naval personnel on the charge of entering the island waters in the Palk Strait but released after a stern warning on Saturday, officials here said.
The fishermen from Akkaraipettai village near Nagapattinam were fishing in four mechanised boats when they were arrested and taken to Mannar in Sri Lanka, Assistant Director of Fisheries Gunasekaran said, quoting information received.
Though the fishermen said they were fishing in Indian waters only, the Sri Lankan navalmen told them that they had intruded into their territory.
The Naval personnel allegedly beat some of the fishermen and warned them not to enter Sri Lankan waters before releasing them this afternoon, he said, adding the fishermen were expected to return tonight.
Several incidents of Tamil Nadu fishermen being "attacked" and detained by Sri Lankan naval personnel have been reported in recent months and the state government had been demanding that the Centre take up the issue strongly with the neighbouring country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song