29 test positive for swine flu in TN
Chennai: Twenty-nine persons have so far
tested positive for swine flu in Tamil Nadu but instances of
the virus were not "endemic but sporadic", Health and Family
Welfare Minister Dr VS Vijay said on Saturday.
Those who have tested positive mainly hail from the
districts of Chennai, Coimbatore and Tirupur, he told
Assuring people that there was no need to panic, he said
instances of the virus were "not endemic but sporadic."
Children and old persons with lesser resistance were more
prone to swine flu, he said.
A 75-year-old farmer from Tirupur district died due to
swine flu last week. Twenty-six of his relatives have been
administered with preventive vaccine, the minister said.
"None of the relatives of the victim has been affected by
the virus," he said after inspecting facilities at Swine Flu
special wards set up in state-run Communicable Diseases
Hospital, Stanley Hospital and Rajiv Gandhi General Hospital.
Tests of throat swabs were being done at government labs in
King Institute, Chennai, and government medical college
hospitals in Chennai, Madurai, Coimbatore and Tirunelveli
besides 12 private laboratories, he said.
Preventive vaccines are being administered to health
workers and lab professionals as they were directly dealing
with persons suspected to have contracted the virus, he said,
adding, 25,000 doses of vaccine had been provided by the
Government was taking various steps in this regard and had
set up monitoring groups at entry points to the state,
including the airport and railway stations, the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes