3 fishermen injured in attack by Lankan Navy
Rameswaram: In continuing attacks
allegedly by Sri Lankan Navy, three fishermen were injured
when fishing boats from here were attacked in mid-sea early
on Thursday, officials said.
The Lankan navalmen, who had come in speed boats armed
with weapons, chased the fishermen by hurling stones and
cutting off their fishing nets and damaging their boats.
The fishermen alleged they were attacked even as they were
preparing to leave heeding their orders.
About 2,500 fishermen were fishing when they were
allegedly attacked. Three were injured while the others
managed to escape, fisheries department officials said.
The attack, fifth in the last one month, came a day after
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa asked Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh to exert pressure on Colombo to rein in the "rogue
elements" in the island navy.
In her fifth letter on the issue to Singh in recent
months, Jayalalithaa had said the attacks on the state
fishermen had caused "great unrest" among the people and they
should be construed as attacks on India and treated as a
In three separate incidents over the past 11 days, 15
fishermen have been injured and 26 boats damaged in attacks
allegedly by Lankan Navy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed