30 TN fishermen released by Lankan court return home
Rameswaram: Thirty fishermen from here, who were set free by a Sri Lankan court after being arrested by the island Navy last month on charges of poaching, arrived here on Wednesday.
The fishermen were arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy on April 6 while fishing near Katchatheevu, an islet ceded by India to the island republic, for allegedly entering into Lankan waters.
A court in Mannar today ordered their release following which they were handed over to Indian Coast Guard personnel at the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL) by Srilankan Navy personnel this evening, officials said.
Assistant Director of Fisheries Plafumin Thiyagarajan, Naval Commander Sathiyanarayanan along with renuve and police officials and fishermen association office-bearers went in a boat and brought back the fishermen to the shores.
On arrival here, the fishermen were given a rousing reception by relatives and fellow fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Uttar Pradesh Congress cancels iftar programme, no official reason attributed behind cancellation
- China cuts yuan fix in biggest downward move since devaluation
- Amit Shah to address party workers in Barabanki
- Have you seen a bad viral ad? Watch now
- Every anti-Sikh riot victim will get justice: Home Minister Rajnath Singh