30 TN fishermen released by Lankan court return home
Rameswaram: Thirty fishermen from here, who were set free by a Sri Lankan court after being arrested by the island Navy last month on charges of poaching, arrived here on Wednesday.
The fishermen were arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy on April 6 while fishing near Katchatheevu, an islet ceded by India to the island republic, for allegedly entering into Lankan waters.
A court in Mannar today ordered their release following which they were handed over to Indian Coast Guard personnel at the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL) by Srilankan Navy personnel this evening, officials said.
Assistant Director of Fisheries Plafumin Thiyagarajan, Naval Commander Sathiyanarayanan along with renuve and police officials and fishermen association office-bearers went in a boat and brought back the fishermen to the shores.
On arrival here, the fishermen were given a rousing reception by relatives and fellow fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal