30-year-old sentenced to 10 years for kidnapping
Salem: A 30-year-old man was on Thursday sentenced to ten years imprisonment for kidnapping and raping a minor girl six years ago.
Selvam, the accused, was sentenced by the Salem Women`s Special Court to seven years imprisonment for kidnapping and ten years for raping the 17-year-old schoolgirl.
However, Selvam will undergo both sentences concurrently. Four other persons who were arrested along with Selvam were acquitted. One accused died during investigation, police said.
Selvam had allegedly kidnapped and raped the girl on September 20, 2006, when she was returning from school.
A case under sections 366 of the IPC (Kidnapping or abducting in order to murder) and 376 (Punishment for Rape) was earlier registered against all the six persons and they had been arrested and remanded, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar
- British politics in turmoil as Brexit talks loom