30-year-old sentenced to 10 years for kidnapping
Salem: A 30-year-old man was on Thursday sentenced to ten years imprisonment for kidnapping and raping a minor girl six years ago.
Selvam, the accused, was sentenced by the Salem Women`s Special Court to seven years imprisonment for kidnapping and ten years for raping the 17-year-old schoolgirl.
However, Selvam will undergo both sentences concurrently. Four other persons who were arrested along with Selvam were acquitted. One accused died during investigation, police said.
Selvam had allegedly kidnapped and raped the girl on September 20, 2006, when she was returning from school.
A case under sections 366 of the IPC (Kidnapping or abducting in order to murder) and 376 (Punishment for Rape) was earlier registered against all the six persons and they had been arrested and remanded, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened