30-year-old sentenced to 10 years for kidnapping
Salem: A 30-year-old man was on Thursday sentenced to ten years imprisonment for kidnapping and raping a minor girl six years ago.
Selvam, the accused, was sentenced by the Salem Women`s Special Court to seven years imprisonment for kidnapping and ten years for raping the 17-year-old schoolgirl.
However, Selvam will undergo both sentences concurrently. Four other persons who were arrested along with Selvam were acquitted. One accused died during investigation, police said.
Selvam had allegedly kidnapped and raped the girl on September 20, 2006, when she was returning from school.
A case under sections 366 of the IPC (Kidnapping or abducting in order to murder) and 376 (Punishment for Rape) was earlier registered against all the six persons and they had been arrested and remanded, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured