35-year old held for attempted rape, murder of teenager
Tuticorin: In a swift action in the mysterious death of a missing teenaged girl here, police have arrested a 35-year old man for allegedly murdering her after attempting to rape her.
The 13-year-old girl, studying in class VII and hailing from Thathankulam near here, was found murdered in the bush at Syedunganallur, about 30 km from here, yesterday after she went missing since Thursday. Injury marks on her body gave rise to suspicion of rape.
Investigations revealed that Subbiah, a labourer, had tried to sexually abuse the girl. When the girl resisted and raised an alarm, he strangulated her using her duppatta, police said adding he was arrested last evening.
Earlier, Subbiah had been arrested on December 1 on charges of misbehaving with his niece. Angered by the family seeking police action against him, the man, on being released on bail, had hacked and injured the girl and her mother.
While a search was on for him in connection with the attack, he had committed the fresh crime, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'