35-year old held for attempted rape, murder of teenager
Tuticorin: In a swift action in the mysterious death of a missing teenaged girl here, police have arrested a 35-year old man for allegedly murdering her after attempting to rape her.
The 13-year-old girl, studying in class VII and hailing from Thathankulam near here, was found murdered in the bush at Syedunganallur, about 30 km from here, yesterday after she went missing since Thursday. Injury marks on her body gave rise to suspicion of rape.
Investigations revealed that Subbiah, a labourer, had tried to sexually abuse the girl. When the girl resisted and raised an alarm, he strangulated her using her duppatta, police said adding he was arrested last evening.
Earlier, Subbiah had been arrested on December 1 on charges of misbehaving with his niece. Angered by the family seeking police action against him, the man, on being released on bail, had hacked and injured the girl and her mother.
While a search was on for him in connection with the attack, he had committed the fresh crime, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30