37 fishermen return from Sri Lanka
Rameswaram: Thirty-seven fishermen, who were arrested in two batches by the Sri Lankan Navy while fishing near Katchateevu recently, were brought to Mandapam here after a court in the island nation ordered their release.
An Indian Coast Guard ship received them from a Sri Lankan naval ship at the International Maritime Bourdary Line (IMBL) and brought them to Mandapam, Fisheries Department sources said.
Mannar court magistrate Aanandhi Kanagarathinam had yesterday ordered the release of the fishermen.
They were arrested by June 19 and July 4 on charges of crossing IMBL.
Talking to reporters, the fishermen thanked Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and the Union Government for taking efforts for their release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you