37 fishermen return from Sri Lanka
Rameswaram: Thirty-seven fishermen, who were arrested in two batches by the Sri Lankan Navy while fishing near Katchateevu recently, were brought to Mandapam here after a court in the island nation ordered their release.
An Indian Coast Guard ship received them from a Sri Lankan naval ship at the International Maritime Bourdary Line (IMBL) and brought them to Mandapam, Fisheries Department sources said.
Mannar court magistrate Aanandhi Kanagarathinam had yesterday ordered the release of the fishermen.
They were arrested by June 19 and July 4 on charges of crossing IMBL.
Talking to reporters, the fishermen thanked Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and the Union Government for taking efforts for their release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Jagga Jasoos' will work irrespective of delay if made well: Anurag Basu
- New Chief Justice of Patna HC sworn in
- India in West Indies: With Lokesh Rahul waiting in wings, Cheteshwar Pujara needs to rediscover form
- 'Sultan' Box Office collections: Rs 300 cr does not seem far for Salman Khan, Anushka Sharma starrer
- Must watch – What would happen if an asteroid hit the Earth today!