39 Indian fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
Rameswaram: A total of 39 fishermen from Jagathapattinam and Rameswaram were arrested by Sri Lankan navy personnel on Wednesday while fishing near the Palk Straits, fisheries department officials said.
In the first incident, 23 fishermen who set out to sea from Jagathapattinam in Pudukottai district in five mechanised boats were arrested and their boats detained while fishing near Neduntheevu this evening. They have been lodged at Kangesanthurai naval camp, Assistant Director of Fisheries, Pudukottai District, Sekar said.
S Emerit, President of Rameswaram Fishermen Welfare Association said another group of 16 fishermen from Rameswaram in three boats were arrested while fishing near Katchatheevu today. Their boats were also detained and they have been lodged at Thalaimannar naval camp, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery