39 Indian fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
Rameswaram: A total of 39 fishermen from Jagathapattinam and Rameswaram were arrested by Sri Lankan navy personnel on Wednesday while fishing near the Palk Straits, fisheries department officials said.
In the first incident, 23 fishermen who set out to sea from Jagathapattinam in Pudukottai district in five mechanised boats were arrested and their boats detained while fishing near Neduntheevu this evening. They have been lodged at Kangesanthurai naval camp, Assistant Director of Fisheries, Pudukottai District, Sekar said.
S Emerit, President of Rameswaram Fishermen Welfare Association said another group of 16 fishermen from Rameswaram in three boats were arrested while fishing near Katchatheevu today. Their boats were also detained and they have been lodged at Thalaimannar naval camp, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened