39 Tamil fishermen detained by Lankan Navy, 23 let off
Rameswaram: Thirtynine fishermen from Tamil Nadu in two batches were today detained by the Sri Lankan Navy for allegedly crossing into the island waters but 23 of them were let off later with a warning, fisheries department officials said.
Twentythree fishermen, who put out to sea from Jagathapattinam in Pudukottai District in five mechanised boats, were detained while fishing near Neduntheevu and 16 others from here arrested near Katchatheevu this evening.
The fishermen from Jagathapattinam were taken to Kangesanthurai Naval camp and later released with a warning, Pudukottai Assistant Director of Fisheries Sekar said.
The 16 fishermen from Rameswaram had been lodged at the Thalaimannar Naval camp, S Emerit, President of Rameswaram Fishermen Welfare Association, said quoting information received from Sri Lanka. Their boats have also been detained, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- 21-year-old commits suicide over morphed Facebook images
- REVEALED: How Test captain Virat Kohli played game-changing role in Anil Kumble's appointment
- Buying your dream home in Gurgaon to become cheaper; Circle rates reduced by 15%
- Iranians pray for peace on holy night
- Goa to continue getting incessant rains till July 1: Met