39 Tamil fishermen detained by Lankan Navy, 23 let off
Rameswaram: Thirtynine fishermen from Tamil Nadu in two batches were today detained by the Sri Lankan Navy for allegedly crossing into the island waters but 23 of them were let off later with a warning, fisheries department officials said.
Twentythree fishermen, who put out to sea from Jagathapattinam in Pudukottai District in five mechanised boats, were detained while fishing near Neduntheevu and 16 others from here arrested near Katchatheevu this evening.
The fishermen from Jagathapattinam were taken to Kangesanthurai Naval camp and later released with a warning, Pudukottai Assistant Director of Fisheries Sekar said.
The 16 fishermen from Rameswaram had been lodged at the Thalaimannar Naval camp, S Emerit, President of Rameswaram Fishermen Welfare Association, said quoting information received from Sri Lanka. Their boats have also been detained, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan