39 Tamil fishermen detained by Lankan Navy, 23 let off
Rameswaram: Thirtynine fishermen from Tamil Nadu in two batches were today detained by the Sri Lankan Navy for allegedly crossing into the island waters but 23 of them were let off later with a warning, fisheries department officials said.
Twentythree fishermen, who put out to sea from Jagathapattinam in Pudukottai District in five mechanised boats, were detained while fishing near Neduntheevu and 16 others from here arrested near Katchatheevu this evening.
The fishermen from Jagathapattinam were taken to Kangesanthurai Naval camp and later released with a warning, Pudukottai Assistant Director of Fisheries Sekar said.
The 16 fishermen from Rameswaram had been lodged at the Thalaimannar Naval camp, S Emerit, President of Rameswaram Fishermen Welfare Association, said quoting information received from Sri Lanka. Their boats have also been detained, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir