50 fishermen injured as SL naval personnel attack them
Rameswaram: Fifty fishermen from this coastal town were injured when Sri Lankan Navy personnel allegedly attacked them with stones and bottles after firing in the air early this morning off Katchathivu islet.
The Lankan naval personnel also damaged 30 boats and cut fishing nets, police said.
One boat sank as it rammed into another in the rush to escape from the spot. However, the five fishermen on board were rescued by others.
Police said 19 fishermen were arrested by the Lankan naval personnel and later taken to Mannar along with their boats.
All the injured had been admitted to private hospitals here. Another fisherman who suffered leg injuries was later shifted to Ramanathapuram Government hospital.
The injured were part of a group of 2,000 fishermen who had put out to sea last night in 400 boats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre