50 fishermen injured as SL naval personnel attack them
Rameswaram: Fifty fishermen from this coastal town were injured when Sri Lankan Navy personnel allegedly attacked them with stones and bottles after firing in the air early this morning off Katchathivu islet.
The Lankan naval personnel also damaged 30 boats and cut fishing nets, police said.
One boat sank as it rammed into another in the rush to escape from the spot. However, the five fishermen on board were rescued by others.
Police said 19 fishermen were arrested by the Lankan naval personnel and later taken to Mannar along with their boats.
All the injured had been admitted to private hospitals here. Another fisherman who suffered leg injuries was later shifted to Ramanathapuram Government hospital.
The injured were part of a group of 2,000 fishermen who had put out to sea last night in 400 boats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you