`547 buildings around Meenakshi temple violated G.O.`
Madurai: A two member Advocate Commissioner who surveyed height of buildings around the famous Meenakshi temple today submitted and interim report before Madras High Court bench, stating they found 547 buildings violating the Government Order, restrictings height of building around it.
They said they were able to conduct inspection only for six days and requested further time to complete the entire inspection. They also said Assistant Executive Engineers and officials were also present during the inspection.
Advocate S Muthukumaran had filed a petition in 2011, stating that the municipal administration and water supply department had passed the G.O. On Jan 30 1997, restricting the height of the structures around the temple.
As per the G.O. The height limit for buildings around the temple should not exceed nine metres. However, hundreds of buildings were constructed violating the GO, he said.
Devotees cannot see the temple towers from a distance, h further affecting their sentiments, he said.
S Ramesh and V Sitharanjandas, Advocate Commissioners, inspected the sites on various dates during the last month.
The report said they could not ascertain if most buildings were constructed before or after the G.O. was issued.
They could not get plan approval of most buildings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25