60 TN fishermen arrested by Lankan Navy
Rameswaram (TN): At least 60 fishermen from Tamil Nadu were arrested by Sri Lankan Navy personnel while fishing near Katchatheevu today, an official from fishermen association said.
The fishermen were taken to Neduntheevu police station in Sri Lanka and their 11 boats were also seized, Pamban Fishermen Association president U. Arulanandam said.
The fishermen from Thangachimadam here, part of a group which had ventured into the sea, were fishing near Kachatheevu, an islet in the Palk Straits ceded to Sri Lanka by India in 1974, when Lankan naval personnel allegedly attacked some of them with steel rods and rope, he said.
About 20 fishermen were injured in the attack and were treated at the Rameswaram government hospital before being shifted to other hospitals, he said.
Yesterday, 19 Indian fishermen were arrested by the Lankan Navy for allegedly poaching in the country`s waters, north of Talaimannar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Borussia Dortmund deny reports of Manchester City's EUR 70 million bid for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Kapil Sharma aka Kappu's Twitter account 'hacked'! – Know who did it
- More than 37,000 flee South Sudan for Uganda: UN
- World to end in a global apocalypse this Friday on July 29?
- First Haj flight from Uttar Pradesh to take off on August 10