6,500 special buses to clear Pongal rush
Chennai: To clear the rush of passengers heading to various destinations in view of Pongal festival, Tamil Nadu government Wednesday said it would operate over 6500 special buses starting January 10, 2014.
Special services will be operated from Chennai to various destinations from January 10-13, a state government release here said. The festival is on Januay 14.
It said 25 special reservation counters would be set up at Koyambedu bus stand here.
Similar services would be operated on the same days from other places throughout the state and a total of 6,514 special buses will be used to clear the Pongal festival rush, it said.
Similar return services will be operated from January 16-19, it said.
The release warned private operators against overcharging passengers, saying government would set up a cell to receive complaints.
Pongal is the harvest festival of Tamils, which ushers in the auspicious `Thai` month, and is celebrated with fervour and gaiety by families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!