6,500 special buses to clear Pongal rush
Chennai: To clear the rush of passengers heading to various destinations in view of Pongal festival, Tamil Nadu government Wednesday said it would operate over 6500 special buses starting January 10, 2014.
Special services will be operated from Chennai to various destinations from January 10-13, a state government release here said. The festival is on Januay 14.
It said 25 special reservation counters would be set up at Koyambedu bus stand here.
Similar services would be operated on the same days from other places throughout the state and a total of 6,514 special buses will be used to clear the Pongal festival rush, it said.
Similar return services will be operated from January 16-19, it said.
The release warned private operators against overcharging passengers, saying government would set up a cell to receive complaints.
Pongal is the harvest festival of Tamils, which ushers in the auspicious `Thai` month, and is celebrated with fervour and gaiety by families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?