7 women rescued from prostituion racket; 3 pimps held
Chennai: Seven women hailing from Andhra Pradesh and Mumbai, forced into prostitution after being promised a career in films, were rescued by Police and three
alleged pimps arrested here on Sunday.
The women were allegedly cheated by three pimps saying they would be given an opportunity to act in movies. But they were forced into prostitution, police said.
Acting on a tip off, police rescued the women from lodges in Periamet area during a surprise raid, a release here said.
Three pimps - Philip Thomas (50) and Joshi Joseph (36) of Mumbai and 35-year-old Sreenivasa Rao from Andhra Pradesh, who forced these women into prostitution were arrested and remanded to judicial custody.
Further investigation was on, the release said adding that the women were sent to Government Home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen