7-year old girl falls into borewell on Tamil Nadu; rescue efforts on
Tiruchirappalli: A seven-year-old girl on Saturday fell into a deep borewell at a village in neighbouring Karur district, about 120 km from here, and intense efforts to rescue her continued, police said.
Muthulakshmi, whose parents are farm labourers from Dindigul district, was playing in the farm land at Suryapalli when she fell into the 900-feet deep borewell, which had been crudely closed after it failed to yield water, they said.
The borewell was to be properly closed today but before that the mishap occurred. The diameter of the borewell was 12 inches upto 12 feet and nine inches beneath.
Fire and Rescue Service personnel along with police are engaged in efforts to rescue the girl by digging a pit adjacent to the borewell.
District Collector S Jayandhi and other top police and district officials are camping in the spot overseeing the operations which crossed 13 hours at 9 pm, officials said.
The girl`s voice was audible till about 5 pm, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi