7-year old girl falls into borewell on Tamil Nadu; rescue efforts on
Tiruchirappalli: A seven-year-old girl on Saturday fell into a deep borewell at a village in neighbouring Karur district, about 120 km from here, and intense efforts to rescue her continued, police said.
Muthulakshmi, whose parents are farm labourers from Dindigul district, was playing in the farm land at Suryapalli when she fell into the 900-feet deep borewell, which had been crudely closed after it failed to yield water, they said.
The borewell was to be properly closed today but before that the mishap occurred. The diameter of the borewell was 12 inches upto 12 feet and nine inches beneath.
Fire and Rescue Service personnel along with police are engaged in efforts to rescue the girl by digging a pit adjacent to the borewell.
District Collector S Jayandhi and other top police and district officials are camping in the spot overseeing the operations which crossed 13 hours at 9 pm, officials said.
The girl`s voice was audible till about 5 pm, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch