70 lakh children to be covered under polio campaign in TN
Chennai: An estimated 70 lakh children would
be covered under the Intensive Pulse Polio Immunisation (IPPI)
campaign to be held in Tamil Nadu on January 10 and February 7
respectively for children aged below five.
"The State has not seen any polio case for the sixth
successive year due to the successful implementation of IPPI
campaigns. However, in view of the wild Polio virus prevalent
in other states, it is essential to administer polio drops to
prevent importation of polio virus from those states", State
Health Minister M R K Pannerselvam said in a release today.
Polio cases were still being reported from northern states
like Uttar Pradesh and Bihar. Workers from neighbouring and
northern States are engaged in construction activities and
there was possibility of importation of polio virus through
these migrant population to children, he said.
In view of this, the state was establishing 40,399
immunisation booths in government hospitals, primary health
centres, health sub centres, noon meal centres. Transit
booths have also been set upat Railway stations, bus stations,
air ports, worship places. Mobile teams have also been
planned to cover the population living in remote and
inaccessible areas including tribal and hilly areas, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble