70 lakh children to be covered under polio campaign in TN
Chennai: An estimated 70 lakh children would
be covered under the Intensive Pulse Polio Immunisation (IPPI)
campaign to be held in Tamil Nadu on January 10 and February 7
respectively for children aged below five.
"The State has not seen any polio case for the sixth
successive year due to the successful implementation of IPPI
campaigns. However, in view of the wild Polio virus prevalent
in other states, it is essential to administer polio drops to
prevent importation of polio virus from those states", State
Health Minister M R K Pannerselvam said in a release today.
Polio cases were still being reported from northern states
like Uttar Pradesh and Bihar. Workers from neighbouring and
northern States are engaged in construction activities and
there was possibility of importation of polio virus through
these migrant population to children, he said.
In view of this, the state was establishing 40,399
immunisation booths in government hospitals, primary health
centres, health sub centres, noon meal centres. Transit
booths have also been set upat Railway stations, bus stations,
air ports, worship places. Mobile teams have also been
planned to cover the population living in remote and
inaccessible areas including tribal and hilly areas, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details
- Samsung's 1st Tizen powered 4G smartphone Z2 launched at Rs 4,590; comes with free Jio SIM
- All-new Hyundai Elantra launched in India, price starts at Rs 12.99 lakh
- Pakistan celebrate 'incredible journey' to No.1 in Test Cricket after 7 years