78 percent polling in Tamil Nadu
Chennai: Around 78 percent of the 47 million electorate in Tamil Nadu cast their votes Wednesday to elect 234 members to the state assembly with Srirangam, where opposition leader J Jayalalithaa is a candidate, registering the highest turnout of 80.9 percent.
"We are in the process of totaling the numbers. The variation will be in the decimals," Chief Electoral Officer Praveen Kumar told a news agency.
The Thiruvarur seat, from where Chief Minister K Karunanidhi has sought the people`s mandate, registered 75 percent polling and the voting percentage in the Kolathur constituency from where Deputy Chief Minsiter MK Stalin is contesting logged 68 percent.
Rishivandiyam constituency, from where the actor-turned-politician and DMDK founder A Vijayakant is fighting, registered 78 percent turnout.
According to Election Commission officials, the possibilities of countermanding polls is almost non-existent while a repoll will be held in two places.
In the 2006 elections, the polling was 70 percent and in the 2009 Lok Sabha polls the voting was 73 percent.
"The challenge was to hold a free, fair and without fear elections which we have achieved to a large extent. There were no major complaints about missing names in the voters list, bogus voting and others," Praveen Kumar said.
On the question of money play the elections, he agreed that cash was distributed.
"We did try to stop that. To a large extent we put a stop to the open distribution. Cash to the tune of Rs 40 lakh was seized prior to the polls. We have registered around 1,500 complaints of illegal gratification paid to the voters," Praveen Kumar said.
According to him, the distribution was spread out across the constituencies and not confined to certain pockets.
Giving a thumbs up to the Election Commisison for holding the elections in a commendable manner, former chief electoral officer of Tamil Nadu Naresh Gupta told a news agency: "Cash for votes is a major problem in three southern states - Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka."
According to him, the one sure way to stop the cash-for-votes is the postponement of elections in constituencies where the issue is serious.
"Elections could be postponed even twice or thrice and the political parties will understand the cash payment will not work," Gupta said.
According to officials, the unaccounted cash seized will be deposited with the district treasury and the claimants can recover this after accounting for the cash.
"We have just crossed the half-way mark," Praveen Kumar said, citing the May 13 counting of votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Delhi Assembly passes resolution against MHA notification: As it happened