8 TN fishermen hurt in attack by Sri Lankan Navy
Rameswaram: In the second such incident
this week, 8 Tamil Nadu fishermen were on Tuesday injured and 13
boats damaged when Sri Lankan Naval personnel allegedly
attacked them near the International Maritime Boundary Line
near Katchatheevu, officials said.
The Sri Lankan Navalmen pelted stones and also used steel
bodied boats to dash against the craft of the fishermen and
also used axe like weapons, forcing them to return to the
shores, Indian Coast Guard and Fisheries officials said here.
The eight fishermen suffered blood clots, bruises and
concussion in the stone pelting, officials said at the
government hospital here where they were being treated.
Two of the injured Mutusamy and Ganesan told reporters
that the Sri Lankan Navalmen hit them not only with stones but
got onto their boats and assaulted them using the butt of
their rifles and wooden planks.
The incident comes a day after Chief Minister Jayalalithaa
wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh expressing concern over
recurring attacks on fishermen and said India should take a
"strong stand" against Sri Lanka and "convey its serious
apprehension through tough words and action".
On Sunday, six fishermen were injured and 10 boats damaged
when Sri Lankan Naval personnel allegedly pelted stones at
them while they were fishing near Katchatheevu islet.
Coast Guard officials said 13 boats had been damaged in
the incident though the loss was restricted to wind screen and
A boat which suffered extensive damage after being banged
by a steel bodied boat was retrieved and brought to the shore
with the help of six other boats.
Asked about the recurring attacks, an official of Vajra
Coast Guard ship said the fishermen were crossing the IMBL in
the midnight and it was not always possible to have a close
look on such a long border, though they were "doing their
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir