8 TN fishermen injured in attack by Lankans
Nagapattinam (TN): Eight fishermen from Tamil
Nadu were injured when they were attacked allegedly by their
Sri Lankan counterparts at midsea off Kodiakarai coast in the
district, officials said on Wednesday.
The fishermen belonging to Keechankuppam hamlet had put out
to sea from here on February 18 and were engaged in deep sea
fishing south east of Kodiakarai last night when the Sri
Lankan fishermen onboard six fast crafts surrounded them and
hurled petrol bombs on their boats, they said.
Then they jumped onto the Indian fishermen`s boat and
attacked the eight occupants with sickles before taking away
the fish catch, communication equipment and other valuables.
Three of the victims with serious injuries have been
admitted the government hospital here and others were treated
as outpatients, officials said.
Fisheries Minister K A Jayapaul visited the hospital and
and enquired about the condition of the three fishermen. He
also assured that the incident would taken to the attention of
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa for necessary action.
The eight fishermen were rescued and brought to the shore
this morning by their colleagues who were fishing in the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani