8 TN fishermen injured in attack by Lankans
Nagapattinam (TN): Eight fishermen from Tamil
Nadu were injured when they were attacked allegedly by their
Sri Lankan counterparts at midsea off Kodiakarai coast in the
district, officials said on Wednesday.
The fishermen belonging to Keechankuppam hamlet had put out
to sea from here on February 18 and were engaged in deep sea
fishing south east of Kodiakarai last night when the Sri
Lankan fishermen onboard six fast crafts surrounded them and
hurled petrol bombs on their boats, they said.
Then they jumped onto the Indian fishermen`s boat and
attacked the eight occupants with sickles before taking away
the fish catch, communication equipment and other valuables.
Three of the victims with serious injuries have been
admitted the government hospital here and others were treated
as outpatients, officials said.
Fisheries Minister K A Jayapaul visited the hospital and
and enquired about the condition of the three fishermen. He
also assured that the incident would taken to the attention of
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa for necessary action.
The eight fishermen were rescued and brought to the shore
this morning by their colleagues who were fishing in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Obama briefed after Britain votes to leave EU
- Goa CM Parsekar says he paid 'bribe' for land document 38 years back
- Far right FN party calls for French "Frexit" referendum on EU
- Congress seeks disqualification of MLCs who defected to TRS
- IIFA 2016: Salman Khan, Deepika Padukone have a gala time! SEE pic