8 TN fishermen injured in attack by Lankans
Nagapattinam (TN): Eight fishermen from Tamil
Nadu were injured when they were attacked allegedly by their
Sri Lankan counterparts at midsea off Kodiakarai coast in the
district, officials said on Wednesday.
The fishermen belonging to Keechankuppam hamlet had put out
to sea from here on February 18 and were engaged in deep sea
fishing south east of Kodiakarai last night when the Sri
Lankan fishermen onboard six fast crafts surrounded them and
hurled petrol bombs on their boats, they said.
Then they jumped onto the Indian fishermen`s boat and
attacked the eight occupants with sickles before taking away
the fish catch, communication equipment and other valuables.
Three of the victims with serious injuries have been
admitted the government hospital here and others were treated
as outpatients, officials said.
Fisheries Minister K A Jayapaul visited the hospital and
and enquired about the condition of the three fishermen. He
also assured that the incident would taken to the attention of
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa for necessary action.
The eight fishermen were rescued and brought to the shore
this morning by their colleagues who were fishing in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal