9 TN fishermen abducted by Lankan Navy
Nagapattinam: Nine fishermen of a fishing hamlet in this district have reportedly been abducted by Sri Lankan Navy off Kodiakarai coast in Indian waters.
Fisheries department officials, quoting panchayat representatives of Akkaraipettai hamlet said on Wednesday that the fishermen put out to sea in a mechanised boat on June 16.
While fishing off Kodiakarai coast in Indian waters on June 19, some Sri Lankan Navy personnel in a fast craft reportedly abducted them and took them to Kangesanthurai port in Sri Lanka.
Other fishermen in the vicinity returned ashore and conveyed the news to villagers, who launched an indefinite fast, demanding that the state and central governments take steps to secure release of the fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing