9 TN fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
Rameswaram (TN): Nine fishermen from Tamil Nadu were on Saturday allegedly attacked and arrested by Sri Lankan Naval personnel when they were fishing in Indian waters off Dhanushkodi near here, officials said.
According to officials, Sri Lankan naval men assaulted the fishermen using rubber pipes and wood before asking them to get into their boats and sped away.
Three boats in which they had put out to sea returned here with the drivers.
Normally Sri Lankan navalmen would arrest the fishermen along with their boats.
It was not known why they let off the boats and the drivers, Police said.
Marine Police alleged that the Sri Lankan Navalmen intruded into the Indian waters near the fifth sand dune.
Police said they were interrogating the boat drivers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened