9 TN fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
Rameswaram (TN): Nine fishermen from Tamil Nadu were on Saturday allegedly attacked and arrested by Sri Lankan Naval personnel when they were fishing in Indian waters off Dhanushkodi near here, officials said.
According to officials, Sri Lankan naval men assaulted the fishermen using rubber pipes and wood before asking them to get into their boats and sped away.
Three boats in which they had put out to sea returned here with the drivers.
Normally Sri Lankan navalmen would arrest the fishermen along with their boats.
It was not known why they let off the boats and the drivers, Police said.
Marine Police alleged that the Sri Lankan Navalmen intruded into the Indian waters near the fifth sand dune.
Police said they were interrogating the boat drivers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says