9 TN fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
Rameswaram (TN): Nine fishermen from Tamil Nadu were on Saturday allegedly attacked and arrested by Sri Lankan Naval personnel when they were fishing in Indian waters off Dhanushkodi near here, officials said.
According to officials, Sri Lankan naval men assaulted the fishermen using rubber pipes and wood before asking them to get into their boats and sped away.
Three boats in which they had put out to sea returned here with the drivers.
Normally Sri Lankan navalmen would arrest the fishermen along with their boats.
It was not known why they let off the boats and the drivers, Police said.
Marine Police alleged that the Sri Lankan Navalmen intruded into the Indian waters near the fifth sand dune.
Police said they were interrogating the boat drivers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- Brexit: Premier League Clubs might not have signed these players if Britain wasn't in the EU?
- BJP upset with Subramanian Swamy but will wait and watch before taking action
- Brexit vote adds to uncertainty over global economy, impact won't be seen soon
- Brexit shock triggers race to salvage EU
- Brexit may make UK real estate cheaper for Indian buyers