9 TN fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
Rameswaram (TN): Nine fishermen from Tamil Nadu were on Saturday allegedly attacked and arrested by Sri Lankan Naval personnel when they were fishing in Indian waters off Dhanushkodi near here, officials said.
According to officials, Sri Lankan naval men assaulted the fishermen using rubber pipes and wood before asking them to get into their boats and sped away.
Three boats in which they had put out to sea returned here with the drivers.
Normally Sri Lankan navalmen would arrest the fishermen along with their boats.
It was not known why they let off the boats and the drivers, Police said.
Marine Police alleged that the Sri Lankan Navalmen intruded into the Indian waters near the fifth sand dune.
Police said they were interrogating the boat drivers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand