99% work in first unit of KNPP over: Narayanasamy
Karaikal: The Centre on Sunday said power production from the first unit of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project would commence in two months as 99 per cent of its works were over.
Talking to reporters here, Minister of State in the PMO, V Narayanasamy said "1000 MW of power could be produced from the first unit, which will be ready for commissioning in two months".
He said "95 per cent of the works on the second unit were also over".
On the demand by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa for allocation of entire power to be generated from the KNPP to the state, Narayanasamy said "the Chief Minister`s demand is under the consideration of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
He said the Union Territory of Puducherry was slated to get 67 MW of power from KNPP.
He said as the Centre was "committed" to the rehabilitation of internally displaced Tamils in Sri Lanka, it had announced Rs 2500 crore package for various projects, including construction of houses for them.
"The Prime Minister is closely monitoring the rehabilitation programmes", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack