Accidents increasing in Erode district
Erode (TN): A total of 692 persons were killed
in 547 accidents in the district in 2011, police said.
This is higher than 2010, as there were 525 accidental
deaths, S. Paneerselvam, Superintendent of Police in Erode
district, said, attributing it to rash driving and driving
after consuming liquor.
Police officials said Rs 40 lakh has been sanctioned to
Erode district for erecting signals, barricades, speed
governors, among others.
Collector V.K. Shanmugam had inaugurated the Road Safety
Awareness week on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Now KRK gets in on the act, blasts Piers Morgan for tweeting about PM Modi
- Seven killed in road accident in Uttar Pradesh's Ambedkarnagar
- Searching for weekend get aways in South? Give it a look
- HORRIFIC: Woman gang-raped, attacked with acid before being dumped on road in Kanpur
- Curfew lifted from Kashmir's Anantnag after 49 days, remains in force in other parts