Acid attack victim`s mother commits suicide in Tamil Nadu
Nagapattinam: Nearly eight months after her 23-year-old software engineer daughter succumbed to an acid attack, her mother has committed suicide, police said.
They said Saraswathi was in depression ever since the death of her daughter on November 14.
Last night, she allegedly consumed poison and was rushed to the government hospital at her native village of Thirukkadaiyur in the district, where she was declared brought dead.
Her body was handed over to her relatives today after post-mortem, they said.
Vinodhini, a B Tech graduate working in a private firm, had gone home for Diwali celebrations when she faced an acid attack at a bus terminus at Karaikal on November 14 by a construction worker, Suresh, whose overtures she rejected.
She was first rushed to a private hospital in Karaikal from where she was shifted to JIPMER (Jawharlal Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences) in Puducherry. She was then referred to a government hospital here and a private hospital for specialised treatment, where she breathed her last.
Suresh was arrested soon after the incident and charges framed against him under various sections of the IPC.
On August 20, he was sentenced to life imprisonment by a court in Karaikal, which also slapped a fine of Rs one lakh on him and awarded four-and-a-half years Rigorous Imprisonment for causing injuries to Vinodhini`s father during the attack.
The judge had also ordered that Rs 50,000 of the Rs one lakh fine be paid to the family of the victim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Each passing year is a reward for me, says Amitabh Bachchan on his 73rd birthday
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off