Act tough against Colombo, support Lanka specific resolution: CM
Chennai: Slamming the Sri Lankan government over the `inhuman act` of alleged cold blooded killing of slain LTTE chief V Prabhakaran`s 12-year-old son, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Wednesday said India should act tough against Colombo and support the Lanka-specific resolution on alleged human rights abuses at the March UNHRC meet in Geneva.
"He was just a child who had not committed any crime. He was killed in cold blood as he was the son of Prabhakaran. It is an evidence of many such killings and reveals the mindset of the present Government in Sri Lanka," she told reporters here, describing it as `an inhuman act of extreme cruelty.`
The AIADMK chief said such "systematic and methodical killings" reminded her of Nazi-era Germany under Hitler where Jews were persecuted just because of their race.
Balachandran`s killing is a "war crime of grave nature and unforgivable," the Chief Minister added.
Demanding tough action against Colombo over alleged human rights violations, she said India should talk to the US, which is moving a Lanka-specific resolution at the UNHCR next month, and other like-minded countries to draft a resolution to be passed at the rights body.
"All those guilty of war crimes should face the International Court of Justice," she demanded.
The Chief Minister recalled a 2011 Tamil Nadu Assembly resolution seeking imposition of economic embargo against Sri Lanka till the time Tamils were ensured of better conditions on par with majority Sinhalas and said the same had been reiterated during the recent week-long Assembly session.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued