Action taken against those behind fake marksheet scam: CM
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M
Karunanidhi today said legal action has been taken against
those involved in the fake marksheet scam, which came to light
during the ongoing counselling at the Anna University here for
engineering and medical admissions in the state.
"The Minister concerned, University Vice-Chancellor and
other officials held consultations on the issue and have taken
appropriate legal action against those who had indulged in
such activities," he said.
Karunanidhi, who was talking to reporters, also handed
over seat allotment letters to some students at the Anna
On touts roaming on the University premises promising
seats, he said a team constituted to look into it would take
necessary action in this regard.
He said of the 36,538 students called for counselling,
34,597 were allotted engineering seats in various disciplines.
Karunanidhi said 13,437 `first generation` graduates were
also given seats this year and the government would provide
various grants to them, including free education. "This figure
will further increase this year," he said.
Last week, Madras University authorities found that over
50 students had submitted photo copies of fake marksheets,
while seeking admissions to engineering and medical courses
under the single window system of counselling.
The Anna University had withheld the allotment letters
issued to the students who had given fake marksheets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says