Additional CCTV cameras to be set up in TN prisons
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Government today proposed to equip Central prisons in the state with additional CCTV cameras at a cost of Rs 2.21 crore.
Municipal Administration Minister K P Munusamy, who holds additional charge of Prisons portfolio, informed the state Assembly that 60 such cameras will be set up at important locations. The state has nine Central prisons.
This initiative will be implemented at a cost of Rs 2.21 crore, as non-recurring expenditure, he added.
Further, with the objective of checking illegal mobile phone usage by prison inmates, the government will set up cellphone signal jammers in all the jails at a cost of Rs 5.40 crore, he said.
Telephone booths were being set up in jails to enable prisoners keep in touch with their families, friends and advocates and 54 such booths were coming up inside the prisons, Munusamy said adding inmates would be allowed to utilise the facility within laid down regulations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj