Additional CCTV cameras to be set up in TN prisons
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Government today proposed to equip Central prisons in the state with additional CCTV cameras at a cost of Rs 2.21 crore.
Municipal Administration Minister K P Munusamy, who holds additional charge of Prisons portfolio, informed the state Assembly that 60 such cameras will be set up at important locations. The state has nine Central prisons.
This initiative will be implemented at a cost of Rs 2.21 crore, as non-recurring expenditure, he added.
Further, with the objective of checking illegal mobile phone usage by prison inmates, the government will set up cellphone signal jammers in all the jails at a cost of Rs 5.40 crore, he said.
Telephone booths were being set up in jails to enable prisoners keep in touch with their families, friends and advocates and 54 such booths were coming up inside the prisons, Munusamy said adding inmates would be allowed to utilise the facility within laid down regulations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31