AERB nod to repeat hydro-tests at Kudankulam
New Delhi: India`s nuclear regulator has given its nod to repeat the full systems test at the first unit of Kudankulam atomic power project in Tamil Nadu ahead of commissioning of the plant expected next month.
"We have given permission to repeat the hydro-tests at Kundankulam Unit 1 yesterday," Satinder Singh Bajaj, Chairman, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB), said.
He said the permission, granted after the review of reports of earlier tests, would give engineers of the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and their Russian collaborators an opportunity to conduct some final checks and tests ahead of the approach to first criticality.
These include some examinations related to preparedness in case of an off-site power failure, officials said.
The full systems test, also known as the hydro tests, would be carried out over the next fortnight.
During the hydro tests, the systems will be heated up and during that process a number of tests will be carried out by NPCIL engineers.
"We will review the report and if everything is within the laid parameters, a go ahead will be given for the next step," Bajaj said.
Earlier, Atomic Energy Commission Chairman Ratan Kumar Sinha had said that during the initial tests, there was some need felt for some maintenance operations that were well identified.
"Essentially there are some system parameters like flow, pressure, temperature that need to be maintained within particular values," he said.
Meanwhile, the main Opposition party in Tamil Nadu Assembly, DMDK, today asked the Central and state governments to ensure the implementation of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project with the consent of the locals.
Slamming the delay in the project, it said the "double-standards" adopted by ruling AIADMK had not only affected the people but also resulted in delaying the project.
"Centre has issued statements over the functioning of the plant but has not made it categorical as to when it will start (producing power)," the party`s General Council resolved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?