AERB team begins inspection of KNPP
Tirunelveli (TN): A 10-member team from the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board today began inspection of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project, where loading of enriched uranium was almost complete.
The AERB team, comprising experts in various sub-fields of Atomic Energy technology, would inspect the plant for few more days, official sources said.
Atomic Energy Commission member Anil Kakodkar had recently stated that despite `difficulties` faced at Kudankulam plant, the first unit would be commissioned "some months from now" and the second by end of 2013.
The Centre also had told the Supreme Court on October 16 that the plant was completely safe and designed to withstand all kinds of natural disasters and apprehensions over its safety are "baseless."
The People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy has been leading protests against the plant for over a year citing safety concerns.
Commissioning of the first unit of the Indo-Russian project was originally scheduled for December last year, but has been delayed due to the protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises
- Washington Navy Yard lockdown: As it happened