After getting warning, Alagiri meets Karunanidhi
Chennai: A day after being warned to toe the party line or face expulsion, former union minister MK Alagiri met DMK president and his father M Karunanidhi at the latter`s residence in the Tamil Nadu capital.
Party officials said the meeting lasted around 20 minutes.
In a recent interview, Alagiri, the south zone organising secretary of DMK, had opposed an alliance with DMDK in the coming Lok Sabha polls.
Alagiri`s opposition came after Karunanidhi had earlier said he would be "happy" if there was an alliance between the two parties.
On Tuesday, Karunanidhi warned Alagiri and others that the party would take action against those who voiced views contrary to the official line. He said such action could include removal from primary membership of the party.
Karunanidhi termed Alagiri`s views regrettable and condemnable, saying they were contrary to the views expressed by him as party president.
The DMK chief also said that decisions on electoral alliances are taken by the party`s executive and general council, or the committee to which the task is assigned.
He warned that the party would take disciplinary action and also remove from its primary membership those who express unnecessary or contrary views.
The warning is applicable to all party workers, he said.
The DMK had recently disbanded its Madurai unit as some functionaries violated the party discipline.
DMK is keen on roping in the DMDK into its fold to fight the general elections, while the latter has so far not expressed any views on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row