Agitation seeking removal of VC to be intensified in Madurai
Madurai: Agitation would be intensifed seeking removal of Madurai Kamaraj University Vice-Chancellor Kalyani Mathivanan from the post, a representative of the association pressing the demand Thursday said.
The agitation would be intensified by holding fasts, demonstrations and even picketing the University in a phased manner in the next two days,P Vijayakumar, co-convenor of the Save Madurai Kamaraj University Coalition,told reporters here.
The coalition would resort to direct action seeking to remove her from the Vice-Chancellor post, he said, adding, dates of the agitation would be announced soon.
Vijayakumar said the Supreme Court had stayed for an interim period of four weeks the order of the Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court setting aside her appointment, and it had expired on August 18. Despite reminders to authorities, no action has been taken to remove her, he said.
The High Court had questioned her qualifications and alleged that she was ineligible to hold the post as per the University Grants Commission regulations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video