AIADMK accuses Karunanidhi of land encroachment
Chennai: The ruling AIADMK in Tamil Nadu
on Monday accused DMK chief M Karunanidhi of encroaching land
behind his Gopalpuram residence and said legal action will be
taken against him in this regard.
A permanent 780-square-foot structure housing rest rooms
for security guards was constructed on the piece of land
which was allotted to Karunanidhi in 1967 by way of a
Corporation resolution for Rs 3,250, local administration
minister K P Munusamy said.
However, on his request in 1969 the allotment was
cancelled and money was advised to be refunded. "But despite
the cancellation, it is still in possession of Karunanidhi. In
1978, he had requested reassigning the land but no decision
was taken by Chennai corporation," he said.
The minister said the civic body had adopted a resolution
in 2003 seeking retrieval of the land for government use but
no action had been taken.
"This land continues to be used by Karunanidhi and we
will initiate all legal steps to retrieve the encroached
land," he said, replying to a motion moved by AIADMK
Munuswamy also said steps would be taken to retrieve land
allegedly encroached as part of DMK`s headquarters `Anna
Arivalayam` after Vetrivel levelled a charge to this effect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened