AIADMK announces candidates for Rajya Sabha polls
Chennai: Ruling AIADMK general secretary and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Thursday announced her party`s candidates for the Feb 7 Rajya Sabha elections, and said her party would support the CPI-M`s candidate.
In a statement issued here, Jayalalithaa said the party has nominated S Muthukaruppan, N Chinnadurai, L Sasikala Pushpa and Vijila Sathyanand as its four candidates for the Rajya Sabha seats.
She also said the party would support the CPI-M`s candidate in the polls following its request.
A delegation of CPI-M leaders met Jayalalithaa Jan 21 and sought the AIADMK`s support for their candidate.
The election for the seats from the state in the upper house is slated next month as the terms of N Balaganga (AIADMK), TK Rangarajan (CPI-M), GK Vasan and Jayanthi Natarajan (both Congress), Vasanthi Stanley and AA Jinnah (both DMK) come to an end in April.
Trichi N Siva, a former Rajya Sabha member and DMK`s candidate for the election, filed his nomination Jan 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble