AIADMK announces candidates for Rajya Sabha polls
Chennai: Ruling AIADMK general secretary and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Thursday announced her party`s candidates for the Feb 7 Rajya Sabha elections, and said her party would support the CPI-M`s candidate.
In a statement issued here, Jayalalithaa said the party has nominated S Muthukaruppan, N Chinnadurai, L Sasikala Pushpa and Vijila Sathyanand as its four candidates for the Rajya Sabha seats.
She also said the party would support the CPI-M`s candidate in the polls following its request.
A delegation of CPI-M leaders met Jayalalithaa Jan 21 and sought the AIADMK`s support for their candidate.
The election for the seats from the state in the upper house is slated next month as the terms of N Balaganga (AIADMK), TK Rangarajan (CPI-M), GK Vasan and Jayanthi Natarajan (both Congress), Vasanthi Stanley and AA Jinnah (both DMK) come to an end in April.
Trichi N Siva, a former Rajya Sabha member and DMK`s candidate for the election, filed his nomination Jan 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics