AIADMK announces five candidates for Rajya Sabha polls
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Monday re-nominated Rajya Sabha member V Maitreyan for another term while announcing her party`s five candidates for the June 27 upper house polls.
In a statement issued here, she announced the AIADMK`s candidates for the elections: Maitreyan, KR Arjunan, T Rathinavel, R Lakshmanan and S Saravanaperumal.
Interestingly there are two doctors in the AIADMK`s list - Maitreyan and Lakshman.
The six members who will retire on July 24 are A. Elavarasan and Maitreyan from the AIADMK, Tiruchi N Siva and Kanimozhi from the DMK, BS Gnanadesikan of the Congress and D Raja of the CPI.
While the AIADMK has a strength of 151 (including the speaker) in the 235-member Tamil Nadu assembly, the DMDK has 29 legislators, the DMK 23, the Communists 18 and Congress 5.
A candidate needs 34 votes to get elected and AIADMK is expecting to romp home with five seats with the help of friendly parties and take its tally in the Rajya Sabha to eight from the current five seats.
Interestingly, six DMDK legislators have met Jayalalithaa and expressed support to her. Five of them functioned as a separate group when the assembly was in session and the sixth legislator joined their ranks last month.
Elections for the six Rajya Sabha seats that fall vacant this July in Tamil Nadu will be held June 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore