AIADMK candidate withdraws nomination for RS polls
Chennai: AIADMK`s fifth contestant in June 27 biennial elections to Rajya Sabha from Tamil Nadu K Thangamuthu Wednesday withdrew his nomination in line with the party`s decision to pull him out to facilitate the victory of CPI leader D Raja.
An official release said Thangamuthu withdrew his nomination. Tomorrow is the last day for withdrawal.
AIADMK supremo and Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had on June 17 announced withdrawal of Thangamuthu from the contest following the decision of party`s administrative council to extend support to the CPI.
At the end of the deadline for withdrawal of nominations today, a total of seven candidates -- four of AIADMK and one each from DMDK, DMK and CPI are in the contest for the six seats, setting the stage for an election in which each candidate is required to get 34 votes.
Among the candidates, DMK chief M Karunanidhi`s daughter Kanimozhi and Raja are seeking re-election to the Upper House of Parliament.
AIADMK with 151 MLAs in the 234-member assembly is certain to ensure victory of its four nominees while Raja is expected to get through with the support of the ruling party. The Left parties have 19 MLAs.
DMK with 23 MLAs today got the backing of Manidhaneya Makkal Katchi, which has two members in the assembly, as it has been making hectic efforts to ensure the 2-G scam accused Kanmiozhi`s victory.
Principal opposition DMDK, which has 29 MLAs, has sought the support of Congress (five MLAs).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- 'Modi-mukt Bharat' after 2019 LoK Sabha polls: Congress leader CP Joshi
- US forces on ground in Syria aiding key anti-IS fight
- See pics: Tim Kopra shares exquisite scenic views of two places in Africa!
- Labour reforms not essential for industrial growth: FM Jaitley
- PM Narendra Modi's Pakistan policy is courageous and realistic, believe 79% Indians: Survey on 2 years of NDA