AIADMK candidate withdraws nomination for RS polls
Chennai: AIADMK`s fifth contestant in June 27 biennial elections to Rajya Sabha from Tamil Nadu K Thangamuthu Wednesday withdrew his nomination in line with the party`s decision to pull him out to facilitate the victory of CPI leader D Raja.
An official release said Thangamuthu withdrew his nomination. Tomorrow is the last day for withdrawal.
AIADMK supremo and Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had on June 17 announced withdrawal of Thangamuthu from the contest following the decision of party`s administrative council to extend support to the CPI.
At the end of the deadline for withdrawal of nominations today, a total of seven candidates -- four of AIADMK and one each from DMDK, DMK and CPI are in the contest for the six seats, setting the stage for an election in which each candidate is required to get 34 votes.
Among the candidates, DMK chief M Karunanidhi`s daughter Kanimozhi and Raja are seeking re-election to the Upper House of Parliament.
AIADMK with 151 MLAs in the 234-member assembly is certain to ensure victory of its four nominees while Raja is expected to get through with the support of the ruling party. The Left parties have 19 MLAs.
DMK with 23 MLAs today got the backing of Manidhaneya Makkal Katchi, which has two members in the assembly, as it has been making hectic efforts to ensure the 2-G scam accused Kanmiozhi`s victory.
Principal opposition DMDK, which has 29 MLAs, has sought the support of Congress (five MLAs).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Differences alone cannot define Sino-India ties: Chinese media
- Tata Hexa, Safari Storme to get 1.9-litre diesel in 2017
- MFs asset base from B15 cities up 19% to Rs 2 lakh crore
- Those killed in Kashmir hadn't gone to buy milk and toffee, says Mehbooba Mufti
- Renault Kwid AMT ready in 800cc and 1.0-litre guise