AIADMK, DMK all set to fight it out for Yercaud bypoll
Chennai: Ruling AIADMK and arch rival DMK are all set to fight it out for the Yercaud bypoll on Wednesday, which is being considered as a test case for the next Lok Sabha elections.
"All arrangements have been made. We are treating all 290 polling booths in the district as sensitive booths. Security has been positioned in all required areas," Tamil Nadu Chief Electoral Officer Praveen Kumar told a news agency.
There would be live recording of poll proceedings at all these polling stations, he said.
All polling stations have been covered by local police and CRPF contingent, who would be stationed throughout polling day, according to the Election Commission.
A total of 43 Striking Forces at various levels has been deployed to redress any emergencies in the bypoll, in which over 2.4 lakh voters are expected to exercise their franchise.
Though 11 candidates are in the fray after withdrawal of nominations, AIADMK`s P Saroja, wife of AIADMK legislator C Perumal, whose death necessitated the bypoll and DMK`s V Maran are the main contestants in the Yercaud face off.
The remaining nine independents are also testing their electoral luck from the constituency.
This is the fourth bypoll being held in Tamil Nadu since 2011 after AIADMK returned to power and the ruling dispensation has won all the three.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has gone all out to ensure that her party maintains the winning streak.
DMK`s star campaigner MK Stalin, the son of party patriarch M Karunanidhi, has also toiled to annex the seat for his party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row