AIADMK Govt not concerned about `suicide` of farmers: Karuna
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Sunday accused the AIADMK Government of not being concerned about alleged suicides of farmers in Cauvery delta districts distressed over their withering paddy crops in view of lack of water for irrigation.
"It seems that the government ruling Tamil Nadu has no concern about farmers who are dying. They don`t have time to see the withering crops in Delta districts," he said in a statement here.
Claiming that nine farmers had committed suicide in the Delta region so far, he appealed to the farmers not to resort to such extreme step.
"Farmers should be hopeful that the situation would change for better. There should be no more reports of suicide of farmers. This is my request," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 94 seats, BJP ahead in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race